The more the words, the less the meaning

Monday, April 24, 2006

thoughts on discontentment

Have you ever wondered why the things that we enjoy the most seem to be the very things we do the least? I don't think it's merely coincidence. Most of the time the two are mutually exclusive. I think it's simply the principles of "taking things for granted," and "the grass being greener on the other side."

For example, I've had many opportunities to practice photography this semester, and I love it, but lately I've been wishing I could do more animation. Of course when I'm animating I find myself wanting to edit video instead. I don't yet know the science behind it, but there has got to be something in our brains that says those things that we don't often do must be special; and what we do everyday is mundane for that very reason.

Like so many things it comes back to a simple idea: enjoy the journey. Or, as a friend said, "Live as though the journey is the destination. "

1 Comments:

  • So, I get first comment privileges here, right?

    I enjoyed reading your "thoughts," you certainly have the skill of writing deep stuff my friend. (o;

    I think discontentment is a good thing. What a cool gift God gave us...the desire to continually "change things up" and experience life differently every day.

    Here's to the journey.

    -L

    By Blogger Laura E, at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home